History of the Riletta Twyne Early Childhood Center
The doors to the Riletta Twyne Cream Family School opened for the first time in January 1991 under the leadership of Dorothy Wyatt, principal. It served students in grades Pre-k to 8th grade. In 2019, Riletta Twyne Cream Family School transitioned to the Riletta Twyne Cream Early Childhood Center serving our earliest learnersv in grades Pre-k to Second Grade.
The Riletta Twyne Cream Early Childhood Center is named after Mrs. Riletta Twyne Cream, a former Camden City educator, advocate and Camden County Freeholder. Mrs. Cream grew up in Camden where she had an impactful career as an educator and school leader. Starting in 1949, she began her educational pursuit by teaching in four different elementary schools. Afterwards, she became principal at Sumner School in the mid-sixties. In 1968, Mrs. Cream continued her school leadership as the principal of Cooper's Poynt School where she remained until becoming the principal of Camden High School in 1972. Once she retired from education, Mrs. Cream continued her service to Camden County’s residents under her appointment as Camden County Freeholder. The entire Camden community is proud to have the Riletta Twyne Cream Early Childhood Center’s structure in her honor. It is our hope and dream that Mrs. Cream’s legacy will be reflected in the lives of our Camden city youth.