Student Substance Abuse
Assessment and Examination Procedures:
A. School nurse
1. A nursing assessment is to be done on a pupil suspected of being under the influence of a CDS at the Principal's request.
2. Nursing assessment is to be done to see if pupil has a medical problem or if further physical examination, by a physician, is needed to determine if he/she is under the influence of a CDS.
3. Results of nursing assessment to be placed on a "Pupil Assessment Form."
4. If the pupil admits to consuming a CDS either during or prior to the school day, then the need for an immediate examination is not necessary unless confirmation is required. In any case, admission of consuming is sufficient cause for the pupil to be in violation of this policy.
5. "Pupil Assessment Form" to be given to Principal/designee for signature.
6. Emergency situation
a. Pupil to be transported to nearest hospital by ambulance accompanied by a
staff member designated by Principal/designee and parent/guardian, if available.
b. Staff member or parent/guardian must take "Pupil Assessment Form" and give to emergency room physician.
7. Non-emergency cases, parent/guardian available
a. Pupil to be taken to a physician to determine if he/she is under the influence of a CDS.
b. "Pupil Assessment Form" to be given to parent/guardian to be returned within 24 hours after being completed by a physician.
8. Non-emergency, parent/guardian not available
a. Pupil to be taken to the emergency room of the nearest hospital for examination.
b. Pupil to be accompanied by a staff member designated by Principal/designee.
c. "Pupil Assessment Form" to be given to staff member and given to emergency room physician.
d. School personnel are to accompany pupil and are not to sign authorization papers or consent forms on any pupil.
e. Division of Youth & Family Services may be contacted if a parent/ guardian is not available