Message to Families for March 13, 2020
Dear Camden City School District Families and Community Partners
As a school district, we have been closely monitoring the news regarding the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Although our school community has not had any suspected or confirmed cases, as a precautionary measure to prevent any potential exposure to COVID-19 among our school community, we have decided to close the Camden City School District for two weeks, effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, with the following plan to ensure our students and staff are prepared to implement remote learning plans during the period of closure.
- On Monday, March 16, 2020, all district schools will be closed for professional development.
- The District will be open on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, for a regular day of instruction to allow teachers to distribute remote learning packets to students.
The district will close for a two-week period, effective Wednesday, March 18 through March 31, 2020. The closure affects all school programming, including before- and after-school activities, all athletic and extracurricular practices and competitions during this time.
While the District is closed, all students are still expected to participate in learning - from home or online. School Support members have been preparing remote learning plans for our students. These documents will be available to students on Tuesday, March 17, when they report to school for a regular day of instruction.
In the event we are directed to close sooner than March 18th, learning materials may be picked up at one the following locations:
- Central Office at 1033 Cambridge Street, 08105
- Woodrow Wilson High School, 3101 Federal St. 08105
- Camden High, 1875 Park Blvd. 08103
- Wiggins, 400 Mt. Vernon St. 08103
- Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy, 990 Morgan Blvd 08105
Taking Continued Precautions:
The coronavirus is thought to be spread via person-to-person contact through contaminated air droplets from coughing and sneezing by an infected person. As with controlling the spread of other viruses, we urge you to speak to your child about the following prevention measures:
- Wash your hands regularly using soap and hot water for about 20 seconds.
- Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze into your arm.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
Additional resources including COVID-19 FAQs and tips on how to talk to your child about COVID-19 are available on our website: camden.k12.nj.us.
Parents of students exhibiting flu-like symptoms or staff exhibiting flu-like symptoms are asked to contact their primary physician immediately.
While the district is closed, please continue to check our website and social media channel for updates. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Solution Center at 856-966-2000 x38100.
Katrina T. McCombs, M.Ed., MPA
State District Superintendent
Camden City School District