Attendance & Truancy
We cannot overstate the importance of your students attendance in school. The expectation is that all students will attend school every day. If for some reason your child must miss school, please follow the attendance policy below.
Truancy letters are generated any time a student accrues any combination of 3, 5 and 10 unexcused absences. Excused absences include a doctor appointment, funeral for immediate family, court date, illness or religious holiday. If a student is ill for 3 or more consecutive days a doctor's note must be provided. Absences should be excused by the parent/guardian within 3 days of the absence. Any unreported absences become unexcused.
A truant tardy is any time a student reports to school more than 30 minutes late without a valid excuse. Excused reasons for being tardy or signing out a student more than 30 minutes before school ends are the same as excused absences. Excused reasons only apply to the student reported, they do not extend to the parent.
PRE-COURT INVITATION LETTERS
Parents with a student who has missed 10% or more of the school days in the school year will be receiving a mandatory pre-court parent conference invitation. Attending this conference can keep school from filing charges with municipal court and help student with resources to improve school attendance.
Students may be excused for the following WITH appropriate documentation:
- Illness or doctor’s appointment, College/school visit or employment interview, Court appointment, Religious observation or Take Your Child To Work Day, Family emergency / death in immediate family, For students with disabilities or 504 plans: in accordance with medical needs/healthcare plan, Suspension (in or out of school), Home instruction (medical), Other (approved by Principal)
Note: Family travel and regular family duties may not be excused
- Family Travel /Vacation, Regular family duties (for example: babysitting, etc.), Household chores, Abusive attendance note patterns
- HANDWRITTEN NOTES
- (Only 10 handwritten notes will be allowed for the school year without principals approval)
- Handwritten notes will only be accepted within (15) days from the date of absence.
- Each note must include the following:
- Date, Parent name, Contact number, Student name, Student ID, Date of absence, Reason for absence
- DOCTOR'S NOTES
Valid verifiable Dr. Notes can be accepted at anytime.